0

HBRC History

Journey of Housing and Building National Research Center 1954 till 2022

On 21 of June, 1954
The Housing and Building National ResearchCenter (called the Building Research Institute) was established. A cooperation agreement for its establishment was signed between the Ministry of Municipal and Rural Affairs (currently the Ministry of Housing Utilities and Urban Communities) and the Department of Foreign Operations of the United States Government of America, and the necessary steps were taken to open an additional appropriation in the budget of the Ministry of Municipal and Rural Affairs in the amount of the Egyptian government's contribution to the implementation of this agreement.

On 23 of September, 1954
The Act No. 495 was issued to establish the Building Research Institute in the Republic of Egypt as an independent body and has its legal personality, provided that the Government of the United States of America contributes to providing the necessary technical equipment, tools and materials that Egypt does not produce locally. Also provides the services of American experts in construction researches in accordance with, as agreed, between the Egyptian Government and the American Operations Department. Initially, the Institute's Establishment Act stipulated that its revenues should be through allocations to the country's budget and the amounts contributed by the Department of Foreign Operations of the Government of USA, In addition to, grants, donations and any resources authorized.

At the end of 1956
The Government of USA has suspended its contribution to the Institute's support.

In 1964
The institute was considered a qualitative institute for building research to which the administrative and financial regulations of the National Research Center apply, An organizational amendments were then issued regarding the center. The Center remained under the Ministry of Scientific Research.

In 1971
The Prime Minister's Decree No. 1871 of 1971 was issued. It stipulated that the Institute is affiliated to the Ministry of Housing and Construction at that time. The Institute retained its name as a Building Research Institute until the Presidential Decree No. 46 of 1977 was issued to establish the center as a public body named "Housing, Building and Urban Planning Research Center" with its legal personality based in Cairo and affiliated to the Minister of Housing and Construction (currently the Minister of Housing and Urban Communities) and is considered one of the scientific institutions in the application of the provisions of Law No. 69 of 1973. With regard to policy and objectives, The decision indicated that the Centre's Board of Directors is the supreme authority that dominates its affairs and governance.

On 16 of February 2005
Republican Decrees No. 63 and 64 of 2005 were issued to reorganize the Housing and Building Research Center to become the The Housing and Building National Research Center and has its legal personality and affiliated to the Minister of Housing and Urban Communities and be headquartered in Cairo. It is permissible by a decision of the Board of Directors of the Center to establish branches in governorates and new cities. Also through the Center's multiple activities, whether research, service or consultation. The Center has been able to contribute to finding solutions to many problems faced by the housing and construction sector in Egypt
The Centre is governed by the Universities Organization Act No. 49 of 1972 and the Scientific Institutions Act No. 69 of 1973.


During the past ten years, the center has issued about 26 building codes and about 21 specifications for business items. The center has also prepared 8 unified Arabic Codes, and the center organizes specialized training courses for engineers and scientists who are working in the building and construction sectors.


The center includes 11 scientific research institutes and these institutes conduct studies, researches and consultations, each in his field. The center also includes a Department of Training and Information Center which includes a scientific library specialized in the field of engineering unique of its kind in Egypt because of the books and scientific journals specialized in the field of engineering. The Center has also many halls for training, lectures, a main hall for conferences and a permanent exhibition of building materials.

Image

The first board of directors of the center (HBRC) (1954-1957)

weliam.png

Prof. Dr. William Sleem Hanna - Chairman

Prof. Dr. William Sleem Hanna - Chairman
Eng. Abdel Moneim Heikal - Vice President
Dr. Eng. Aziz Ahmed Yassin - General Director of the Institute
Eng. Abbas Khalil - Representative of the Ministry of Municipal and Rural Affairs
Eng. Abdel Azim Ismail - Representative of the Ministry of Public Works
Mayor Eng. Gamal Abdel Rahman - Representative of the Ministry of War
Eng. Mohamed Hassan Jumai - Representative of the Permanent Council for Services
Eng. Ali Noureddine Nassar - Representative of the Permanent Council for the Development of National Production
Mr. Harry Stevie - Representative of the Mission of Foreign Operations United States of America
Prof. Dr. Ibrahim Adham El-Demerdash - Representative of the Faculty of Egyptian Universities
Mayor Eng. Mahmoud Younis - Representative of the Boards of Directors of Engineering Societies
Eng. Ahmed Refaat - Representatives of those workers in the construction industry or concerned with its research.
Eng. Norvald Egeland
Eng. Mohamed Khaled Saad El-Din
Eng. Mokhtar Ibrahim

Subsequently, various bodies took over the leadership of the Board of Directors,

- Presidential Decree No. 63 of 2005 reorganizing the Housing and Building National Research Center.
- Presidential Decree No. 64 of 2005 issuing the executive regulations of the Housing and Building National Research Center

Contact Details

87 El Tahrir St. Dokki - Giza
Email: hbrc@hbrc.edu.eg
Phone: 0237617102
Fax: 0233351564

Articles View Hits
239100

Location

Related Links